Saturday 18 June 2016

Giving To The Lord

Spirit & Life Devotional
Saturday, 18 June 2016
Chinaemerem Joshua Ibezim

Giving To The Lord

"Then you shall keep the Feast of Weeks to the Lord your God with the tribute of a freewill offering from your hand, which you shall give as the Lord your God blesses you." Deuteronomy 16:10 NKJV

Years ago, in the university, I went to fellowship with the sum of Five Thousand Naira which I withdrew from the bank; as I was about to enter the venue, a lady met me and asked me to lend her money so that she could give, and she promised to repay as quickly as possible. I obliged, but she didn't keep her word; she's yet to repay me over ten years later. I had to write it off.

Now, was she blessed for that seed she sowed? No! God is not unjust. She merely gave to the church, not to God. You see, I have given many times to God: I have sold my things to give; and when I had no money I have given my belt and shoes! But here's what I have never done: I have never given to God what He did not first give to me! Please take note of what I said.

Here's the truth: you may impress your pastors and leaders but you don't impress God by giving what you don't have. I've seen countless dishonoured cheques that were issued to churches. Does that speak well of us as Christians? It shows that a lot of us lack integrity. God expects us to give as He blesses us! It's that simple. If God wants me to give more He will first increase my capacity to give! Paul wrote to the Corinthians, "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, AS GOD HATH PROSPERED HIM, that there be no gatherings when I come." 1 Corinthians 16:2

David said that he wouldn't give to God something that cost him nothing. In other words, something he got free from someone else; if you really want to give a sacrificial offering, the honourable thing to do is to work very hard to earn that amount of money! People must begin to give with understanding!

May God prosper you in Jesus name.

Twitter: @PastorChinae
PIN:568E2E56

No comments:

Post a Comment