Wednesday 1 April 2015

ON THE ELECTION OF GENERAL MUHAMMADU BUHARI

ON THE ELECTION OF GENERAL MUHAMMADU BUHARI

A CHOICE WAS MADE

I'm a strong believer in choice. I believe in the power of choice, and that when people who are mature enough have chosen what they want, their choice(s) must be respected. I learnt that from God: when the people of Israel wanted a king, Samuel was sad, but God asked him to give them a king even though He was being rejected. God respected the choice of the people. Just as I believe in the power of choice, I also believe that every choice has its consequences. We do not only choose our actions, we also choose to enjoy or to suffer the consequences of our choices.

In the presidential elections that held on March 28, 2015, majority of Nigerians made a choice; a choice for a change of government and also, hopefully, for a change of things in our country. With our votes, we have chosen Retired General Muhammadu Buhari as our President for the next four years. Today, I congratulate the President-Elect and wish him well. It is my duty to pray for my leaders; that I shall always do.

For many years, Nigeria was a one party state. That was certainly not good for us as a nation. But what was worse, is the fact that our votes didn't always matter. But that has changed (or is changing)! The electorates are now more informed and have understood that ultimate power is theirs. For that, I am very happy. And also for that, I congratulate every Nigerian who voted. I also salute all those, living and dead, who fought tirelessly to make today a reality. I thank President Goodluck Jonathan too, for a job well done. Sir, your contributions to the strengthening of our democracy will always be remembered. Fellow Nigerians, we must continue to use this power to bring about positive change and development in our dearly beloved country.

I believe in the unity of Nigeria. We are brothers irrespective of our religion and tribe. I have a dream, that one day, we all will be able to live wherever we desire, whether in the North or South, East or West, without fear and be able to contest for elective positions wherever we reside, a day when an Igbo man can become governor of Katsina State and a Yoruba woman governor of Imo State. I was very pleased with the fact that Chief Oghene Egboh, Mrs. Rita Orji and Mr. Tony Nwoolu were elected as members of the Federal House of Representatives for Amuwo Odofin LGA, Ajeromi-Ifelodun LGA and Oshodi/I solo Federal Constituency, Lagos. I'm very excited that my dreams are coming to pass!

Finally, I wish to remind us that true change begins with you and I. Changing a government will amount to nothing if you and I continue to live, work, trade and relate with one another as we have always done. We must not be forced to change our ways else it won't last, we must willingly change ourselves. Our attitude to work must change; we must be more patriotic, putting Nigeria first and above every other interests; our politicians must change and begin to see politics as a means of offering service and improving lives; our police must change; lawmakers and judges must change; students, traders, contractors, and everyone else must change! We must stop stealing and corruption; we must stop vandalism; we must stop exam malpractices; and all other vices if we would be a great and prosperous country. Yes we can because we have all it takes.

I am proud to be a Nigerian.

God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria!

Chinaemerem Joshua Ibezim
Author, Spirit & Life Devotional
Pastor, Able Ministers
April 1, 2015

Twitter: @PastorChinae
PIN:52EDCD5B

No comments:

Post a Comment