Sunday 1 February 2015

Joy, Independent of Circumstances


Spirit & Life Devotional
Sunday, February 1
Chinaemerem Joshua Ibezim

Joy, Independent of Circumstances

2 Corinthians 8:1-2 NLT "Now I want you to know, dear brothers and sisters, what God in his kindness has done through the churches in Macedonia. They are being tested by many troubles, and they are very poor. But they are also filled with abundant joy, which has overflowed in rich generosity."

Members of the churches in Macedonia had many troubles and were very poor, yet, they were filled with abundant joy! How? Meanwhile, if a lot of us find ourselves in similar situations we will be complaining and unhappy.

I think we need to start thinking differently. Prosperity is good and to be desired, but note that the Bible said that the grace of God was abundant in the churches in Macedonia despite their troubles and poverty! So poverty and challenges doesn't mean an absence of grace! Our relationship with God, our happiness and our joy should not be based on what we have or do not have: true joy is independent of circumstances!

Habakkuk 3:17-18 says, "Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!" No money in my bank account but I'm joyful! My mates are getting married every weekend and I'm not even in a relationship, but I'm joyful! My marriage failed, no job, no children, no sponsors, I lost the contract, but I am still joyful! My joy, which comes from the Lord, is independent of circumstances and is my strength! Today, I choose to rejoice! Hallelujah!

Twitter: @PastorChinae
PIN:52EDCD5B


No comments:

Post a Comment